Sad Day at SPHS

November 1, 2007 at 12:37 pm 5 comments


The South Point boys soccer team lost their first round playoff match 4-3 to the visiting Clyde Erwin HS last evening at Lineberger Stadium. This loss eliminates the Red Raiders from the state tournament.

The Raiders played a good 20-minutes of soccer in an 80-minute match, unfortunately it was only the last 20-minutes. The score indicates a match that may have been closely contested, however, that was not the case. It was South Point’s match to win, or lose as the case proved. South Point dominated possession, found ways to take shots that left the Erwin team shaken, but not stirred.

The boys put on a great first five minutes, sending everyone forward and resulting in 4 shots, all on frame, but saved by a fired-up keeper.  

The team from Clyde, NC of the Mountain Athletic Conference had two very good forwards, who received a series of boom-balls that put them behind South Point’s defense. #10  for Erwin scored first about the 29th minute on a great shot that got by keeper Case Gadd in the left upper 90. This player proved to be a fly-in-the-ointment all evening for South Point.

Aaron Pegues had been pushed up from the central back position which left the outside backs to cover the wings and any center attacks. Harbin and Crane played more as attacking midfielders in those situations, which tactically was devastating for the Red Raiders.  The Erwin team countered by powering the ball from the wings to this #10 and a very fast partner, #8, who would run up the middle.

Between the 47th and 55th minute,  Erwin knocked off a series of runs that beat the defenders and forced Gadd to fend off shots in one-on-one situations. The result was three more goals – something South Point hadn’t seen by any opponent in over two years.

Down 4-0 and approaching the 60th minute, South Point began to play the type of highly skilled soccer that Raider fans had come to expect out of this crew of players. Crisp passes were suddenly turned into receptions and fast-breaking runs. Balls were being played out to the midfield wings who suddenly began playing very aggressively, and crossing passes were finding the chest and feet of Kevin Haskins and Tyler Martin in the forward slots.

Matt Crane provided the spark of great play by overcoming several obstacles in the midfield and finding Harbin, Avery, and then Haskins and Martin on successive runs. Pegues contributed to the flurry, and in one instance helped create a jam in the 18 where Crane found the net off a rebound that had come off the keeper to a defenders foot, back to Crane. 4-1 for Erwin.


A quick reset and fast play set up the second score when a South Point Player was fouled in the Penalty Area (PA), resulting in a classic PK opportunity for the Red Raiders. Matt Crane stepped up and coolly nailed the shot opportunity. 4-2 .

The sparse halloween-affected crowd went wild with enthusiasm. Could a comeback be in the works? Only 14 more minutes remained in the match. South Point down by two, with the top scoring forward in the state (Kevin Haskins) being shut out thus far in the match.

Another quick restart and beautiful play by South Point. Harbin, Pegues, and Crane, clubmates for years, created several opportunities with through passes and overlaps that made the crowd wonder which team played the earlier 60-minutes.

One such through ball found the waiting feet of the nimble Haskins, who played through three defenders and pulled the trigger, GOOOAAALLLL ! 4-3.


Erwin had substituted several players when they had the 4-0 lead thinking they had the match in hand, all returned during the flurry of goals, but only 5 minutes remained in regulation.

The players were getting a bit chippy and tempers began to flare as Erwin would find ways to delay restarts. Each team had players receive cautions (yellow cards), but South Point kept pounding. Three more shots taken and saved, 4 more shots taken, earning corner kicks for the Raiders. Headers off the corners in two instances went just wide. The crowd was thoroughly engaged.

In stoppage time (or, “added time”/”injury time”), which is common in soccer due to substitutions, goals, bookings, or injury, Erwin managed to boom the ball to the far reaches of Lineberger stadium and prevent the Raiders from mounting too many more runs.

When the final whistle was blown, Erwin 4 South Point 3.  

Erwin will face Charlotte Catholic on Saturday night, who had beaten Eastern Randolph 6-0.


Entry filed under: Aaron Pegues, Belmont, Big South Conference, Case Gadd, Front Porch, HS Soccer, HS Sports, Kevin Haskins, Matt Crane, School, Soccer, South Point, South Point HS, Sports, Tyler Martin, Will Harbin.

Be Careful Out There ! More On Belmont’s Council Candidates

5 Comments Add your own

  • 1. why?  |  November 1, 2007 at 4:36 pm

    Mr AD, Scott Lee, please find us a coach!

  • 2. mk  |  November 2, 2007 at 12:41 pm

    Erwin is in Leiceter,and parts in Asheville, Not Clyde and what about the raccoon that came in the visitor stands and stole our moon pie? No kidding.

  • 3. belmontfrontporch  |  November 2, 2007 at 1:34 pm

    No sympathy from us on the raccoon, he is trained to steal visitor’s foodstuffs. That’s a fact of lfe hereabouts.

    He was a plant from the Asheville HS people last year at this time and took up residence in the woods behind the school.

  • 4. george  |  November 2, 2007 at 3:28 pm

    too late for finding us a coach………….damage was done

  • 5. why?  |  November 2, 2007 at 5:39 pm

    Do you know if the raccoon can coach?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Recent Posts

%d bloggers like this: